I’m back! After quite a long hiatus, I’m posting again. I now have a bit more time on my hands but that might not last very long as I’m expecting baby number 2 in the next few weeks. Hopefully, I’ll be able to prepare a few posts beforehand. Today’s recipe is a celebratory confetti cake, not that I have much to celebrate…yet. For months, I’ve been looking at confetti cakes on Pinterest and finally caved in and bought, a few days ago, some coloured rice paper and a card puncher on the internet to make my own edible confetti. Under the icing is a four-tiered lemon sponge cake, very moist and zingy! I hope you’ll enjoy it!
To make this cake, you need:
For the sponge
- 6 medium eggs
- 175 g caster sugar
- 175 g plain flour
For the lemon syrup
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 unwaxed lemon
For the lemon cream
- 125 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 350 g lemon curd
- 200 g ricotta
For the decoration
- 500 g white ready-to-roll icing
- Four sheets of coloured rice paper
- A craft punch
To make the sponge
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Whisk the eggs until frothy then add the sugar and whisk further until the mixture becomes thick and pale and doubles in volume.
- Add one third of the flour to the mixture and fold in carefully with a large metal spoon. Repeat with the other two thirds of the flour. Divide the mixture evenly between two greased 20 cm sandwich tins and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on the top. A skewer or knife inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- When baked, remove the sponges from the tins and leave to cool on a wire rack covered with baking paper.
To make the lemon syrup
- Put the sugar and 100 ml of water in a saucepan. Add the lemon's zest and juice. Simmer for 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Leave to cool.
To make the lemon cream
- Whip the cream until thick. Add the sugar and whisk further until you get soft peaks.
- Mix one third of the lemon curd with the ricotta until smooth, and add to the whisked cream. Mix until smooth and well combined, and chill for about 30 minutes.
To assemble the cake
- Slice each sponge in half horizontally. Drizzle the lemon syrup evenly on all 4 pieces.
- Spread one-third of the lemon cream on one of the sponges, cut size up, and one-third of the remaining lemon curd. Put a second layer of sponge on top, cut side up again, and repeat the lemon cream and lemon curd spreading. Do the same for the third layer of sponge before finishing with the fourth layer, cut side down this time.
- Chill the cake for about 30 minutes.
To decorate the cake
- Roll out enough icing to thinly cover the entire cake.
- Make the rice paper circles with the craft punch and stick them on the icing-covered cake with a little water. Store in the fridge and eat within 3 days.